Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Now we must praise


Edward Hirsch declared that English poetry began with vision:

" ... the holy trance of a seventh-century figure called Caedmon, an illiterate herdsman, who now stands at the top of the English literary tradition as the initial Anglo-Saxon or Old English poet of record, the first to compose Christian poetry in his own language."

According to Bede, the story goes that Caedmon, an old herdsman, would always flee when it came to his turn to sing during feasts. Being illiterate and unlearned, he was ashamed that he never had any songs to contribute. But one night, after he had once again left the banquet hall for the stables, a man appeared to him in a dream, and Caedmon was commanded to sing:

"Then [Caedmon] said: 'What must I sing?' Said he: 'Sing to me of the first Creation.' When [Caedmon] received this answer, then he began immediately to sing in praise of God the Creator verses and words which he had never heard."

English poetry also began with an imperative. A necessary urgency to praise. In this season of waiting, it seems good to be me to stave off the impatience with praise of God.

Here's someone reading Caedmon's Hymn. The Anglo-Saxon sounds are at once familiar and foreign.

Nu scylun hergan hefaenricaes uard,
metudæs maecti end his modgidanc,
uerc uuldurfadur, sue he uundra gihuaes,
eci dryctin, or astelidæ.

He aerist scop aelda barnum
heben til hrofe, haleg scepen;
tha middungeard moncynnæs uard,
eci dryctin, æfter tiadæ
firum foldu, frea allmectig.

Now we must praise The Protector of the heavenly kingdom
The might of the Measurer and His mind's purpose
The work of the Father of Glory as He for each of the wonders
the eternal Lord established a beginning.
He shaped first for the sons of the Earth
heaven as a roof the Holy Maker
then the Middle-earth mankind's Guardian
the eternal Lord made afterwards
solid ground for men the almighty Lord.


One of my favorite modern poets, Denise Levertov, tells the story from Caedmon's perspective:

All others talked as if
talk were a dance.
Clodhopper I, with clumsy feet
would break the gliding ring.
Early I learned to
hunch myself
close by the door:
then when the talk began
I’d wipe my
mouth and wend
unnoticed back to the barn
to be with the warm beasts,
dumb among body sounds
of the simple ones.
I’d see by a twist
of lit rush the motes
of gold moving
from shadow to shadow
slow in the wake
of deep untroubled sighs.
The cows
munched or stirred or were still. I
was at home and lonely,
both in good measure. Until
the sudden angel affrighted me—light effacing
my feeble beam,
a forest of torches, feathers of flame, sparks upflying:
but the cows as before
were calm, and nothing was burning,
nothing but I, as that hand of fire
touched my lips and scorched my tongue
and pulled my voice
into the ring of the dance.


A burning circle of joy and blaze. Be drawn in.

No comments:

Post a Comment