Wednesday, October 27, 2010

What I carry in my pockets

Today I discovered the old Hasidic saying that each of us should carry around two pieces of paper, one in each pocket. One piece of paper says "I am but dust and ashes": this is what I read when I'm feeling proud and self-important. But when I'm feeling worthless or ashamed, I read the other piece of paper, which says: "For me the world was created."

(With thanks to http://faith-theology.blogspot.com/2010/10/giveaway-butterflyfish-great-and-small.html)

2 comments:

  1. When I am feeling troubled with my sin, I read Psalm 51. But then I read Psalm 139 so I remember who God is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great Fi! Thanks for the post. We've just started a sermon series on the Psalms at church, with the first sermon on Psalm 139. Sons of Korah do a great music-ed version on their album "Rain".

    ReplyDelete